Daring Bakers - Challenge FIFTEEN (and a half!)

NB: This post is a continuation of this one!

Ok, so I lied, it took a bit more than 2 hours, and I had to do a little bit more than just "touch up some photos" but I'm telling you it was really worth it! I'm really proud of the work I've done, and I'm satisfied with it, which is probably a first for all my DB challenges. I hope you like them!

Firstly, an evaluation of puffiness...

Great success!!

The layers are really thin and flaky and almost transluscent!

They puff up ridiculously high as well.

My vol-au-vents rised so beautifully and evenly.

I made about 6 of them.

My first filling was a chicken and potato curry.

It was so delicious. The pastry tasted so amazing. Store bought pastry just doesn't have that delicious buttery melty mouthfeel. Delicious!

Then I made slices with grilled peaches and cream.

A classic combination; I really couldn't have gone wrong.

I also made small jam and custard things.

They were small little flaky bites of goodness.

I made some pies with one of the sheets I had leftover. Damn this makes good quality pie. I should try making some awesome meat pies with this.

Now, what does any self-respecting amateur baker do with his leftover puff-pastry...?

Make palmiers!

I'm so proud to be able to say that I've made these palmiers completely from scratch! They taste so much nicer than when made with store bought puff-pastry.

Well, that's it folks. I hope you enjoyed the show! I'm really tired from baking for hours and hours and I still need to go clean up.

P.S. the chocolate puff-pastry didn't rise at all!
I'll look into that when I get time...


30 comments:

Nidhi 28 September 2009 at 1:44 am  

You did a fabulous job! All your creations look so good. I can just say WOW!

Karen | Citrus and Candy 28 September 2009 at 2:28 am  

Great job! Looks like all that effort paid off :)

Dragon 28 September 2009 at 3:15 am  

Oh my goodness, these are gorgeous!I'd be proud too. :)

Kitchen M 28 September 2009 at 3:36 am  

Wow! Yours look so perfect!! I like how you made palmiers with the leftovers too. :)

Wolf 28 September 2009 at 6:05 am  

I so need to make some palmiers this week with my leftover pastry.}:P

Jenni 28 September 2009 at 6:22 am  

Great job! Your puff pastry looks fantastic!

anna 28 September 2009 at 11:04 am  

Very VERY nice! I want to reach in and take one of those peachy things. And I can't WAIT to make palmiers with my leftovers! They are absolutely my favorite thing to make (eat) with puff pastry.

Namratha 28 September 2009 at 12:36 pm  

Wow,your vols-au-vents rose beautifully. Nicely done!

Linda@eatshow&tell 28 September 2009 at 1:56 pm  

I love the variety of fillings.. omg your pastry rose by alot!

Deeba PAB 28 September 2009 at 3:54 pm  

excellent job Ahmad, & I have to so I am brilliant GREEN with envy. Man, look at those puffs & layers. Mine look sad as compared to yours...but they tasted fab! I love the choice of fillings too, and my fave has to be the grilled peaches & cream. A boy after my heart! Great job!!

sweetakery 28 September 2009 at 6:20 pm  

oh wow! Ahmad you did a fabulous job! They look lovely & delicious..beautiful layers!

Rosa's Yummy Yums 28 September 2009 at 6:41 pm  

Very well made! Your pastry is wonderfully puffy and your Vols-au-vent are perfect! I love your choice of fillings...

Cheers,

Rosa

Audax 28 September 2009 at 8:48 pm  

Ahmad your work is amazing you can see how high and even the layers are. Wonderful fillings and the idea of a meat pie sounds delicious. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. Cheers from Audax in Australia

Olga 29 September 2009 at 12:46 am  

The grilled peaches and creme filling looks so very good!
And what an awesome idea on making palmiers: I have some dough left in the freezer and might try to make these!

Unknown 29 September 2009 at 1:27 am  

Wow, your vol-au-vents are really perfect! I agree that making your own puff pastry is more delicious than store-bought!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella 29 September 2009 at 1:32 am  

Wow look at those high rise towers! :O You did a great job! :)

Anonymous 29 September 2009 at 4:09 am  

Great job! Boo I was looking forward to the chocolate puff :)

TeaLady 29 September 2009 at 4:27 am  

Looks like you have puff pastry down pat. Your vols are great and everything else is beautiful. great job.

PAM 29 September 2009 at 4:39 am  

Your vols-au-vents turned out perfect. The layers are beautiful. Love the grilled peach dessert too!! Nice job!!

creampuff 29 September 2009 at 10:56 am  

I love all the variations you made, especially the Napoleons!!! Nicely done!

Eat4Fun 29 September 2009 at 12:53 pm  

Great job on this challenge! YOu really got terrific puffage from your puff pastry. The fillings all look delicious. Also, the pie and the palmiers look great too!

s 29 September 2009 at 8:31 pm  

kudos to you..they look FANTASTIC!!

shaz 29 September 2009 at 11:28 pm  

Wow, you totally aced this challenge! And your plating is so professional :)

Aparna Balasubramanian 30 September 2009 at 1:35 am  

15 1/2? Now you're being modest. Those cases have risen something fantastic!
I made palmiers too. :)

Lauren 30 September 2009 at 2:52 am  

Adorable!! I love all of the shapes you made - wonderful job!

Rose 30 September 2009 at 4:25 am  

AWESOME! Congrats! Your plating is GORGEOUS :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking 30 September 2009 at 3:01 pm  

Just beautiful! Gimme those grilled peaches and cream! MMMMmmm.

Y 4 October 2009 at 12:12 am  

Chicken and potato curry? Yum, it looks like an open version of a curry puff :) Love what you did with the rest of your pastry too. Mouth watering!

Shirley 4 October 2009 at 1:18 pm  

The peaches and cream has my name on it.

Vera 4 October 2009 at 1:24 pm  

Perfection! What a fabulous puff!!